Voter and Elections Information

The City Clerk is the local elections administrator and coordinates with the County of Riverside in the conduct of municipal elections.  This includes, but is not limited to, the preparation of necessary resolutions calling for elections and the declaration of election results, the coordination of the candidate nomination process, and receipt and processing of initiative, referendum, and recall petitions.

Regular elections are consolidated with statewide elections and are held on the first Tuesday in November in even-numbered years to fill expired City Council terms.

City Council members are elected at large to a four-year term.  Council members serve staggered terms with two or three seats alternately expiring every two years.  The Mayor is appointed every year on a rotational basis by the City Council.

November 5, 2024 - General Municipal Election

The City of San Jacinto is a general law city with a five-member legislative body. Each of the five City Council Members are directly elected by the registered voters. The positions of Mayor and Mayor Pro Tempore are ceremonial in nature and not directly elected. The City Council selects the Mayor and Mayor Pro Tempore amongst themselves, and the positions typically serve a calendar year. 

The next general municipal election for the City of San Jacinto will be held on November 5, 2024, for three council seats and one treasurer seat.

Campaign filings may be viewed here.

The candidate statements for the above candidates, along with their ballot designations, can be found here.

For questions, please contact the City Clerk's Office at (951) 487-7330 ext. 339.

The Notice of Election (English and Spanish) can be found here.

To register to vote, check voter status, or learn about how to vote, please click on the icons below. For specific questions, please contact City Clerk Julia Espinoza or call the City Clerk's Office at (951) 487-7330.
       Register to votevoter statushow to vote

Qualifications for Candidacy: To qualify as a candidate for a member of the City Council, you must reside and be registered to vote within the jurisdiction at the time nomination papers are issued.  Registered voters in the City of San Jacinto must be 18 years of age at the time of the election.

Public Versus Private: Becoming a candidate for public office means that information about you will become a matter of public record immediately. With a few exceptions, this includes any and all documents submitted to the city during the course of the election. As such, these documents must, by law, be available to the public for inspection and/or copying.

Pre-Nomination Period Activities: Prior to soliciting or receiving any contributions related to candidacy, a candidate must file a Form 501, Statement of Intention with the City Clerk’s Office. Please contact the City Clerk’s office at (951) 487-7330 ext. 339 if you are planning on soliciting contributions prior to the official filing/nomination period. An officeholder or candidate must who receives contributions totaling $2,000 within a calendar year qualifies as a recipient committee and must file a Form 410 with the Secretary of State within 10 days of qualifying.

Blue words that say Campaign Disclosure Forms

Campaign Disclosure Manual 2

The FPPC Campaign Disclosure Manual 2 (PDF) contains information for Local Candidates and is useful for completing Campaign Disclosure Statements.

The Fair Political Practices Commission (FPPC) requires certain campaign filings. The FPPC may be contacted for advice on Ask FPPC for Advice.

Explanation of Forms

Form 410 - Statement of Organization: If not already filed, file once the $2,000 threshold is reached. File the original and once copy with the Secretary of State and one copy with the City Clerk. IMPORTANT: Form 410 may be filed prior to raising $2,000 and then must be amended within 10 days of reaching the $2,000 threshold to disclose the date qualified as a committee.

Form 460 - Consolidated Campaign Disclosure Form: Required if $2,000 is raised/spent.

Form 470 - Officeholder/Candidate Campaign Statement Short Form: Used by candidates who do not have a controlled committee and do not anticipate receiving or expending $2,000 or more during a calendar year.

Form 501 - Candidate Intention Statement: All candidates must file with the City Clerk before raising or spending any money.